Motion Sensors

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Motion Sensors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Wu
    Participant

I am brand new to CODAP. Just found it last night before going to bed.

So can I actually hook up CODAP to my Pasco Motion Sensors or do I need some other software? I already have the sensor connector software downloaded and it is connected to my Motion Sensor. I just don’t seem to know how to collect the data and save it. Is there a way I can use the sensor connector software within CODAP?

thanks

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Hi Mr. Wu,

There are two ways to get data from sensors into CODAP. The first would be to use PASCO’s own software to collect the data, then export as CSV and drop that CSV into CODAP.

We are also working on a plugin for CODAP that will allow direct import of data from sensors. Here’s a CODAP document that has the current state of our sensor plugin. You could use this as a starting point for students.

https://codap.concord.org/app/#shared=21522

It’s a bit rough around the edges. We are still working on it, so consider that a temporary link to try this out. We would love feedback from you regarding how this works (or where you find bugs). When we have a more stable and publicly available link I will post that here.

-Dan Damelin

Mr. Wu
    Participant

Hello there Dan

Thank you for the quick reply. I will certainly try looking at the plug in later today as that is more along the lines of what I am looking for. I guess CODAP is still pretty new huh? I would love to keep learning CODAP as it develops! It seems like a rich learning environment for teachers and students! In regards to your suggestion number one, I will take a quick look at that as well but it does not sound like something I would use. It seems a tad cumbersome to export data collected in Sparkvue and then export it into CODAP to analysis. Sparkvue is super buggy but it does have decent data analysis tools already. I would prefer to wait on CODAP to develop more and be able to do everything within one stable good program.

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

CODAP has been under development for several years, but continues to be refined and add new features through our work with other partners. The sensor plugin is one example. This is being developed by another group at the Concord Consortium as part of the Inquiry Space project. https://learn.concord.org/inquiryspace

The materials found there use a much older version of CODAP. Over the next year we plan to update these to use the latest version of CODAP, and to offer curricular strands in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, to get students and teachers into learning through inquiry of phenomena.

Mr. Wu
    Participant

That sounds awesome

would your team be looking at adding video analysis as well as ‘shared sessions’?

Those are very helpful tools in physics

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

The InquirySpace team is looking into developing a video analysis plugin for CODAP as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.