Scalability of CODAP

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Scalability of CODAP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sue Finch
    Participant

Hello

I am planning to use CODAP for an online course that potentially has a large number of users.  How well does CODAP cope with large numbers of users? How stable will CODAP be over the next, say, three years?

Thank you

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

Can you be more specific regarding the number of students you anticipate?

It is likely there will be no issue, because once the CODAP web-app has been loaded it is mostly running on the local device, largely independent of our servers.

-Dan

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

As Dan points out, the fact that CODAP becomes fully resident on each user’s computer should rule out any problems with large numbers of users.

As to stability over time, CODAP is evolving so there will continue to be improvements in performance and usability as well as enhanced features. It’s certainly possible that some changes in CODAP will require changes to the instructions in the course materials. One way to deal with this is for your institution to serve a single, stable version of CODAP during a run of the course. This is very straightforward, amounting to little more than unzipping a file onto your server and pointing your users to that URL.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Sue Finch
    Participant

Thank you Bill and Dan,

My question is less pertinent now as the course I was asking about will no longer be offered as an open course.  We might expect hundreds of users within a small time window but I don’t think this should be an issue.  The options you suggest above are also very helpful.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.