workaround for "Shared view: disabled" ?

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum workaround for "Shared view: disabled" ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Ross
    Participant

Hello,

Sometimes I try to get a shared link and I get the message “Shared view: disabled”. How do I go about re-enabling sharing? I’ve tried creating a copy, but the copy doesn’t have sharing enabled either (often). I’ve tried saving a copy to my local hard drive then opening a new tab and uploading that file, and that also didn’t seem to work.

Thanks,

Andrew

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

When you get to the Shared view: disabled dialog box, is there an ENABLE SHARING button as shown in the screen capture enclosed here?

If so, press that button. If not, can you share a screen capture of what you’re seeing?

Bill

Attachments:
    Andrew Ross
    Participant

No, it doesn’t have buttons like that. Here’s what I see (attached).

I also just noticed that there’s a yellow frame around the CODAP window (inside the browser tab). I don’t know what that means but it seems like it might be relevant.

It just occurred to me that it might be my ad-blocker, AdBlock Plus, but then I turned it off and tried again in that window and the dialog box for sharing still didn’t have the enable-sharing button. But now I’ve tried opening new windows, uploading the local file, and then sharing, and the dialog box _does_ have the enable-sharing button. This is all in Chrome, in case that’s relevant.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Andrew,

I am curious how big the data sets are in the documents you are sharing. We have seen the same behavior recently with documents with large data sets. (For current CODAP, a data set with more than 40,000 cases would be considered large.)

Jonathan Sandoe

Andrew Ross
    Participant

It’s not “large” by CODAP standards, then. It has 49 or 50 rows, and about a dozen columns. I’ll try to attach the downloaded CODAP file here, in case that helps.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Ross
    Participant

Ok, that attachment didn’t work; it wasn’t permitted due to security purposes. Here’s the shared link that we plan on giving to students:

https://codap.concord.org/app/#shared=44925

(in case the URL gets removed, here’s the key part: shared=44925 )

I just wanted to make 2 graphs on it, then get a new shared URL without updating the shared view.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Andrew,

You can only have one share point per CODAP document. This is to simplify having to manage multiple share points and works for most of our use cases. You can however make a copy of your doc, adjust it and then send out a share link to that copy. (or you can open your own share link, make a change, then share that)

-Dan

Andrew Ross
    Participant

Maybe I’m not understanding what it means to make a copy of the document, adjust it, and then send out a share link to that copy. I thought that was one of the methods I had tried, and still got the sharing-is-disabled box with no enable-sharing button. Do you mean using “hamburger”->”Create a Copy”? That’s what I was doing. Of course it seems to be working now, but it seems to be random as to whether it works or not, looking back at my past few months of using CODAP.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Any chance you might be on flakey internet when it is not working? I believe I once saw this same thing a long time ago, and thought it had something to do with resources not fully downloading or the browser cache referring to some older version of one of the resource files.

Regarding multiple shares, I was referring to Create a copy and then sharing the copy. Glad to hear it is working now. If you notice anything that is consistent about the times you see this happen let us know and we will try to track it down.

Two things to try which might tell us if it is the internet connection.

1. Try holding down the shift key and reloading the browser page. Then try sharing again.
    2. Open an incognito window and then load the doc to see if the sharing dialog is working.

If either of those work to consistently fix the sharing dialog issue. It is likely incomplete resource download (or some browser caching issue).

Andrew Ross
    Participant

I’m doing this from an office computer on wired ethernet in a college campus building, so it should be a pretty reliable internet connection, but I guess it could flake out every now and then. A browser caching issue could be it too. Thanks for the hints; I will try them next time it happens, and let you know if I learn anything.

Andrew

Maggie Michalowski
    Participant

I have a dataset with about 3000 lines. I am having the same problems mentioned above. I get a message that says shared view is disabled, and no option to enable it. I tried to make a new copy, refresh, ensured strong internet connection, trimmed down the dataset and made a copy of the smaller set, and everything else I could think of, but this document is still not able to be shared.

Andrew Ross
    Participant

It hasn’t happened to me in a while. I don’t think I ever did something that “solved” it, it just stopped happening. So I’m sorry I don’t have any ideas on what else to try that I know would work.

But, I wonder if trying a different browser (Firefox vs Chrome) might help, if you can try switching.

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hello Maggie,

I am sorry you are having difficulty with the sharing feature of CODAP. A 3000 row dataset should be fine. I concur with Andrew that trying a different browser might help. It’s possible it’s an issue with the type of browser or computer. I am curious what you are using.

A transient server problem could have also caused the issue. Was the error occurring immediately prior to your post? Is it still occurring?

Jonathan Sandoe

Maggie Michalowski
    Participant

I tried to share the document at different times and with different internet connections/providers, so I don’t think it was an isolated incident.

I am using the chrome browser on a chromebook; it’s all I can access through my work account.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Maggie,

I just tried on a chromebook and it worked for me. Has it ever worked for you?

Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.