【Help】Dataset don't support Chinese

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum 【Help】Dataset don't support Chinese

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Max Hsu
    Participant

I dragged a CSV file whose content includes Chinese into the web. Then all Chinese words became garbled! As shown in the attachment file.

Could you tell how to fix it? Or any information helpful?

Thanks!

Max

<audio style=”display: none;” controls=”controls”></audio>

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Max Hsu.
    Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

I suspect the problem is one of character encoding. CODAP expects CSV files to have an encoding of UTF-8. This is a standard encoding and will work for many cases. It is likely that your CSV file was encoded with a different character encoding.

If you created the CSV file from some other data source then the tool you used to create the file may give you the ability to specify the encoding. If you only have the CSV file, there are tools available to convert the files, depending on your computer type. On Macs, for example there is a command line tool called “iconv”.

Jonathan

Max Hsu
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for your idea. It helped.

I converted the CSV file’s format to UTF-8-BOM with Notepad++. It is fine now.

Max

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Max Hsu.
    Steen Groðe
    Participant

Notepad (the standard one) can also save as UTF-8, likewise Excel although in Excel it is a little more tricky: save as Unicode txt or comma separated csv -> functions -> web settings, pick save as Unicode UTF-8 (I am translating back to English so the “->” may have other labels)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.