data source

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum data source

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hallo, I am Daichi,  univ student in Japan

I would like to ask  little bit question for you. There is a “Fast Plants” in CODAP example datasets, which is used for tutorial. Where is the dataset come from?real data in him or her experiment or imaginary ?

CODAP looks have some language better and better, but how about Japanese ?This is the most abondant people hate English, I think. I hope you include Japanese within CODAP.

King regards.

Daichi.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello Daichi,

The Fast Plants data is fictitious, created to provide a context to help us do some research on how students perceive hierarchical data. You read about this research here.

You ask about a Japanese localization. We rely on volunteers for this effort. If you know someone who would be interested and able to translate CODAP into Japanese, please put them in touch.

Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Bill

Thanks for giving some information I want.
    Do you have any requirements about that volunteers?

I want to  join that volunteer if you would like to admit it.
    Of cource, I would ask some professor or foreign friends.

Sorry for replaying so lately.

Daichi

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hello Daichi,

There are no specific requirements for translators. Of course, it is necessary that a translator have a good understanding of English and of the target language and it is very helpful if they are familiar with CODAP to ensure their translation fits the context. It is also helpful if there are more than one person involved in reviewing the translation, even if only one person actually performs the work.

Translators will use the online tool the Po Editor, to perform the translation. It is a nicely designed site that, I think, most of our translators have found easy to use.

Here is how the process will usually work:

• A person interested in performing a translation will get in touch with the CODAP team by email.
    • We will create a project for the intended target language on the Po Editor, and arrange for the Po Editor site to send an invitation to the translator or translators.
    • The translators will log into the Po Editor and translate the text elements of CODAP. There are currently about 900 total text elements to translate. Most elements are short phrases. If a translator is not sure about how to translate a particular element she or he can ask for clarification through facilities of the Po Editor. We will respond as soon as we are able.
    • When it looks like most elements have been translated, we will create a trial version of CODAP that includes the translation, so the translator can verify that the translation makes sense in context. When the translator is comfortable with the result, we will incorporate the translation in the official version of CODAP.

CODAP is an open source software product, and translations are considered to be open source contributions.

Daichi, I hope this addresses your questions and gives you an idea of the scope of the undertaking. We would certainly welcome a Japanese translation. If you remain interested, please contact me at jsandoe@concord.org.

Thanks,

Jonathan Sandoe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.