Date format in Spanish language

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Date format in Spanish language

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

In Spanish date format, the day is placed before the month, so the value “1/12/xx” means “December 1st”, not “January, 12th”.

This is critical because CODAP only understands the English format, even when the language set is Spanish.

Is it possible to make CODAP switching this date format depending on the language set?

Thanks a ton.

Regards,

Cristián

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hi Cristián,

We are aware of many of the issues with date formatting in CODAP. We will address them when we can, but I can’t say how soon this will be. I apologize for this.

We do support the international standard date format for date input (ISO 8601, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601), but unfortunately the output in the case table will be formatted for the en-US locale.

A question: there is a similar issue with decimal separators. CODAP expects periods as decimal separators, many countries use commas. Is that an issue for your use of CODAP?

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, I totally understand the point. Fortunately, the issue can be fixed using Excel and changing the format for the English language.

Similar situation with decimal separator, this can be fixed changing the format within the OS system (OSX in my case).

Kind regards,

Cristián

Tom Button
    Participant

Hi – has there been any progress with this? I’m wanting to use CODAP in the UK but the mm/dd/yyyy format is very confusing for UK students. Ideally an option to switch to the ISO format of yyyy-mm-dd for displaying would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

We’re hard at work on a new version of CODAP. (Sorry, but no release date available yet.) I’ll log your request, likely in the form that the date format should respect the browser language/locale.

Bill

Tom Button
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the swift reply. I’d have a preference for the ISO format of yyyy-mm-dd. My experience of getting things to format based on a user’s browser settings hasn’t always been perfect – over here some users can have their browsers set to US English and not realise it.

Tom

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Noted. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.