double legend on map

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum double legend on map

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

I’ve plotted a map of the US, then dragged in a categorical variable and I get two copies of the legend.  See attached.  Also happens with numerical variable dragged into a map.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andee,

Though I don’t see an attachment, I’m guessing that your map has two “layers” from the same dataset; e.g. States’ boundaries and cities as points with latitude and longitude. Let’s assume the States are at one level and the cities at the level beneath. Now, you drag a categorical attribute for cities into the map and you get two legends. Ugh!

This is a bug that I fixed yesterday. It will appear in build 0476.

In the meantime you can click on one of the legend attribute names and use the resulting menu to remove that legend. The other legend will remain.

Now if, by chance, both layers are at the same level, then the problem will persist even after the bug fix and there’s some question about what the behavior should be. Similarly, if the legend attribute belongs to the higher level, the problem will also persist, again with more design thinking required.

Thanks so much for posting your question, and I hope this response helps, at least a bit.

Bill

Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

I’ll try to attach something again – apparently the previous file was too large (it was an image file.)  But the dataset is only a single level, so it’s not exactly the situation you describe.  Here’s a link to the file.

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Montserrat, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; white-space: pre; background-color: #eeeeee;”>https://codap.concord.org/app/#shared=85429</span&gt;

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Ah, that makes it clear. I’m guessing you don’t really need points plotted in each state? If that’s true, then rename latitude and/or longitude to something CODAP won’t recognize as lat/long. I often add an underscore to the end of the name. Then when you drop an attribute on the map you’ll just get a legend for the boundaries.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.