Histograms in CODAP

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Histograms in CODAP

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering if there’s a way to create histograms in CODAP? We are thinking of demoing CODAP in an upcoming teacher workshop on data literacy, and we use histograms in our lesson. Thanks so much!

Also, I’m trying to upload a csv file of data into CODAP and I keep getting the following error:
    “An error has occurred which prevents the application from running: cannot read property ‘resizeCanvas’ of null” Can you provide any insight about that?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Concerning histograms, this is a feature on our list. Stay tuned.

Concerning the problems you are having loading a CSV file, the error message you are seeing isn’t one I would expect. If you could provide a few more details we should be able to get to the bottom of it though:

• What operating system are you running?
    • What browser?
    • Approximately how big is the CSV file (in lines) and (if you know) how was it created?
    • How did you load the CSV? By dragging or by some other means?

If you feel comfortable doing so, could you send the file, so I could try it here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

CODAP does log user actions and it also uses Google analytics. But I don’t think anyone has tried to make use of either of these when a CODAP document is embedded in a web page.

To add to this:

1. The production instance of CODAP automatically logs events to a log server that was built by Concord Consortium. The events logged correspond to user initiated actions. There is a high correspondence between events that are logged and events that are undoable, you can get a sense of what is logged by opening CODAP and observing the UNDO events (by mousing over the “Undo” button and observing the tooltip that comes up.)
    2. Although CODAP can store and retrieve files from several servers that require authorization, it does not natively require authentication. A consequence of this is that events recorded to the Log Server are anonymous. There is a session key that can be used to correlate events (although, due to a bug, this key is at this moment not always present in the log message.)
    3. The production instance of CODAP, meaning https://codap.concord.org/releases/latest, is bound to the Concord Consortium log server, but this is configurable. Another instance could be instantiated that logged to a different log server.
    4. Google analytics is also enabled for the production instance of CODAP. This events recorded and accessible through the Google analytics reporting include all the usual data as for any web site. I think this data would be considered proprietary to Concord Consortium.
    5. If you created a separate instance of CODAP with the intention to configure a separate Google Analytics dataset this would require a small code modification.

I hope this addresses your questions. If you can provide more information about your use case, we may be able to provide a specific answer.

Kathy Shafer
    Participant

About a week ago (early May) I got the same error message (I tried multiple times) when dragging a csv file into a new document.  I was on Safari with a Mac.  I ended up using the import function and it worked fine.  It was a small data set (100 cats).

I tried it today and the drag and drop worked on Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

~Kathy

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Kathy,

How mysterious! I don’t think anything has changed in CODAP that would have improved things. And I myself have dragged ‘100 cats’ into CODAP with no problems.

Thanks for letting us know,

Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.