Hour of Data Activities: CODAP Story Builder vs Google Sites

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Hour of Data Activities: CODAP Story Builder vs Google Sites

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

I am currently developing student-facing and interest-generating Hour of Data activities for 8-12th grade (inspired by the ubiquitous Hour of Code) for my M.Ed. in CS capstone. I am reaching out to this PLC for input and resources that might help me answer this question:

• Assuming no prior knowledge on behalf of participating students or teachers, will (1) CODAP Story Builder or (2) a CODAP-embedded Google Site be a better tool to publish accessible Hour of Data activities that integrate (a) text, (b) images, (c) video, (d) step-by-step tutorials, (e) both guided & open-ended data analyses, and (f) real-time formative feedback for students?

I am attempting to implement best practices from Hour of Code, particularly:

Student-led (Self-Guided) Format: The original Hour of Code was built mostly on the success of self-guided tutorials or lessons, optionally facilitated by the teacher. There are plenty of existing options, but if you want to create a new one, these activities should be designed so they can be fun for a student working alone, or in a classroom whose teacher has minimal prep or CS background. They should provide directions for students as opposed to an open-ended hour-long challenge. Ideally, the instructions and tutorials are integrated directly into the programming platform, to avoid switching tabs or windows between the tutorial and the programming platform.

I have read/watched everything I can find about CODAP’s new Story Builder plugin (e.g. here and here). Are there any additional resources (e.g. tutorials on how to use Story Builder, how to implement live “Show me” scaffolding, etc.) that will help me determine the right tool for accessible Hour of Data activities?

Any and all input is appreciated 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Bill Finzer.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Bill Finzer.
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Nick,

Nice project to undertake!

Myself, I would try Story Builder. You can certainly meet all of your requirements using it. I even have access to a few more “getting started” style checkbox tutorials you could embed.

I’ve posted a link to your question to a couple of internal Slack channels, so we’ll see if anyone pops up with more thoughts.

Please keep us posted with your progress.

Bill

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

I love this idea Nick! I think now that Story Builder is a built in plugin available by default in CODAP that it would be great to use it for this. I don’t really have much else to add because I’m fairly new to using Story Builder, but I do want to follow the discussion here and see how your idea develops. Thanks, Jacob.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.