how do I indicate that a table is a child of a row?

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum how do I indicate that a table is a child of a row?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mimi recker
    Participant

how do I indicate that a table is a child of a row?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Mimi,

CODAP shows the “parent-child” relationship in the case table with curvy lines, as you can see in the screen shot I’ve uploaded. Very useful is to click on one of the parent rows to select that row and all the child case rows. This is also shown in the screen shot. As you scroll the child table, CODAP attempts to keep the parent table in synch so you can see the parents approximately next to their children.

Another way is to make a graph (as shown in the second screen shot) in which some unique identifier for the parent is on one axis and some attribute for the children is on the other axis. Here you can easily see that the selected child case has Kentucky as its parent.

I’m not sure I’ve answered your question. Don’t hesitate to follow up!

Bill

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Bill Finzer.
    mimi recker
    Participant

Thanks Bill.

I have two tables in Codap that I’d like to join. See image.

Thus the laundry row in “top 2” is the parent to the Laundry table. How do I do this join?

Thanks,

mimi

Attachments:
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Mimi,

OK, now I understand. I think the right answer is that you should do it in a spreadsheet by appending a column to the Laundry dataset and filling it with “Laundry.” Then, when you import this into CODAP, you can drag that column to the left to create the parent “Location” collection.

But you inspired me to see if there was any way to do it from within CODAP. There is, but it’s very clumsy, and I don’t recommend it. But here are the steps, at least approximately:

1. In the “top 2” dataset make a new attribute named “Time”
    2. Drag the case and location attributes to the left, leaving Time on the right.
    3. Click in the Index column of the child collection and insert as many cases as you have in the Laundry dataset.
    4. Give the Time attribute a formula like the one in the screenshot below, except referring to “Time” instead of “Temperature.”

This should have transferred all the temperature values into the top 2 dataset at the child level. Add the rest of the attributes, varying the formula to refer to each additional attribute in the Laundry dataset.

What a lot of work! Much easier in a spreadsheet.

There are a lot of data manipulation capabilities we would like to add to CODAP as we go along. “Ease of join” is certainly one of them!

Bill

Attachments:
    mimi recker
    Participant

Great, finally got it to work. Might be helpful to spell this out in the help docs.

I guess the moral is to do most data wrangling in a spreadsheet program then play in Codap.

Thanks for your help.

mimi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.