Keeping track of selected subsets

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Keeping track of selected subsets

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

I’ve been doing a lot of selecting of subsets of points, then hiding unselected cases.  And in the process, I often lose track of what points I am actually looking at.  I’m sure there’s no way for CODAP to in general report what subset of points I’ve eliminated (since I could have just brushed some random group of points), but I’m often choosing subsets by specifying one of several levels of a categorical variable, which COULD theoretically be tracked.  Has anyone brought up this issue and/or had a clever way to track which points are hidden?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andee,

I don’t recall anybody bringing up this issue already or come up with a clever tracking mechanism.

Certainly the Choosy plugin could be used to tag the cases you are about to hide, but it doesn’t do the kind of tracking you’re talking about.

Bill

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

One thought/idea: would it be possible to have parent visibility toggles (or something like them) work on tables in CODAP too, in addition to graphs? (also what about maps? I thought they worked on maps but apparently not). It strikes me that this these toggles are kind of like the check boxes you can use for filtering a table in Excel (and consult later to see exactly what you are/are not seeing in the table). If there were parent visibility toggles (or something like them) for tables in CODAP, it would be pretty quick/easy to determine what has been filtered out.

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

In certain circumstances, one could maybe just use a graph with parent visibility toggles to keep track of the subset you are looking at. Another option could be using the StoryBuilder plugin to track/write notes documenting the filtering processing. Or one could write a description of the filtering process in a text box. Although these are not automatically generated histories.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.