Problems opening CODAP documents saved on Google Drive

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Problems opening CODAP documents saved on Google Drive

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

This morning I was unable to open CODAP documents I had saved on Google Drive. I was able to resolve the problem. I am posting this in case this may help others who encounter the same issue.

The problem: I had CODAP open in my Chrome browser. I attempted to open a document in the usual way: from the “Hamburger Menu” in the upper left corner I selected “Open…”, then selected Google Drive and picked a document. CODAP responded with an alert that said just “Unable to open document”.

The fix that worked for me: In my browser, I went to https://drive.google.com. I logged out of my account there. I then opened CODAP in a new browser tab. I followed the above procedure to open a document, but this time I was asked to log into Google Drive, and this time I was able to open my CODAP document.

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

I’m consistently having this “unable to open document” problem too when trying to access CODAP files I saved in google drive. Happens in multiple browsers. Happens even if I try what you suggested above. What’s going on?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

We think something has changed with Google Drive but we’re not yet clear what that might be.

Another possible workaround is to find the document in the Google Drive interface and open from there; for example by double-clicking.

If you haven’t done this before it may require you to give CODAP some permissions before being allowed to open in this manner.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Bill

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

Thanks Bill. What’s odd is if I take the shared view link to the same document, save it as a new CODAP file in Drive, and then open it, it works fine–but not the original CODAP file.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Yeah, we don’t think it has anything to do with the document itself, but rather, something about CODAP getting along well with Google Drive.

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

There is an expected situation when one can’t open a CODAP doc saved to Google Drive: When one account was used to save it and another account is used to open it. We’ve seen this with some people who have work and personal google accounts, even if both accounts should have the same access to the file. If one account was used to save and another account was attempting to open, it can cause an error. Not saying that is what is happening in this case, but might be an issue for some.

Kathy Shafer
    Participant

I have experienced this issue and it was attributed to having multiple Google accounts, as Dan pointed out.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

News flash! We have found a recent change in Google Drive is responsible for these problems. We have a fix that we’re testing at this moment. I recommend that you not open from Google Drive until we release the fix. Instead, download from Google Drive and drag into CODAP as a workaround.

We expect to do the release very soon. (In fact, I’m testing it now.) Look for 0559 as the build number in the upper right of the document.

Apologies for problems this has caused you all!

Bill

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

Thanks, Bill!

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

The latest release is up (0559) and fixes these problems with Google Drive.

Whew!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.