Strange graph issue

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Strange graph issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

I have a file I’m using for our Data Clubs project – it’s data we imported from the Pew Center.  There are lots of categorical and ordinal variables in it (not sure that’s relevant, but it seems to be).  One of the variables is “How often do you use the Internet?” and it has values seldom, once/week, several/week, once/day, several/day and constant.  If I make a graph with that variable on the X-axis, I get what I expect.  But if I then plot another categorical variable on the Y-axis, the categories on the X-axis get messed up.  See the attached screenshot.  This doesn’t happen with every categorical variable plotted on the Y-axis.  I haven’t yet figured out the pattern.  Here is a link to the dataset.

https://codap.concord.org/app/#file=googleDrive:1H-FYcOzW2wjx4CB6lz9DtCYN2NLip_56

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andee,

Thanks very much for this bug report! I suspect it has something to do with missing values. I’ll log it and mark it high priority.

Bill

p.s. It’s generally not a good idea to share links to documents on Google Drive since, depending on permissions, anyone who opens it can make changes to it. Better to use Sharing.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Bill Finzer.
    Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

Thanks, Bill.  We think it has to do with missing values, too, but couldn’t do much more diagnosis than that.  Do let us know when it’s been fixed, since it’s part of a module we’re teaching in February.

And thanks for the Google drive link warning…we generally use sharing, but I forgot..

Also, I think the timestamp on the forum is buggy – it’s telling me that you sent your reply at 5:49PM on 12/25.  Unless you’re in Europe somewhere?

Happy holidays!!

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andee,

Found and fixed the bug. The fix will appear in build 0510. Due to vacation interruptions in development that won’t be until about January 17.

Happy New Year!

Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

Thanks, Bill!  I’m surprised no one reported that previously – but maybe people haven’t been using datasets with lots of missing values.  At any rate, glad to hear that it’s been fixed and we’ll look forward to seeing the new version in January.

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Well, the bug only got introduced a couple months ago. 🙂

Andee Rubin
    Participant
    4 pts

I hate it when that happens!

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andee,

The latest release (0510) has the fix for this bug.

Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.