Unable to manually change color for categorical variable on a map

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Unable to manually change color for categorical variable on a map

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

I am trying to change the colors for a variable being treated as categorical on a map, but I cannot scroll below the first two levels of the variable. Is this a bug? Here’s the shared view link to the CODAP document. Thanks!

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

Here’s the image:

Attachments:
    Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

I tried two different browsers and it did the same thing in both.

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

move your mouse over the lower part of that dialog and scroll to access the additional controls

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

Hm that doesn’t seem to work for me though (see the screenshot below). I tried clearing my cache and two different browsers.

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Here’s a screencast in case my description was not clear.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/c0e23eV4UvM

Jacob Sagrans
    Participant

That fixed my issue! Thanks!

Ankit Kumar
    Participant

One possible solution could be to group some of the categories together in order to reduce the number of unique categories within the variable. For example, if you have 10 categories, you could group them into 5 groups of 2 categories each. This would allow you to assign a different color to each group, rather than to each individual category.

Alternatively, you could use a different type of mapping, such as a choropleth map, which uses a continuous color scale to represent a numeric variable rather than categorical data.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Ankit Kumar.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Ankit Kumar.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.