Variable names with special characters

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Variable names with special characters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sue Finch
    Participant

Hello,

I have been uploading a csv file with brackets in the variable name (column title), and also with $ signs.

CODAP truncates the variable names with the brackets, appearing not to read anything from the brackets on.

It doesn’t show the $ correctly.

I have worked around these problems for the minute, but am just letting you know about this.  Is this a CODAP bug or something to do with csv files?

Thank you.

Sue

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

Text between angle brackets is stripped out of attribute names when they are displayed in the case table. But if you bring up Edit Attribute Properties you’ll see that the angle brackets and text between them is still there.

Any text before the ‘<‘ character and after the ‘>’ is displayed as normal.

Angle brackets in HTML are used as part of the markup and I believe they are triggering something in the case table display that we could probably get around. But I would recommend avoiding their use!

Can you be more specific about the problem with $ signs? I couldn’t get anything strange to occur with them.

Bill

Sue Finch
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I’ve tried a few different brackets (see attached image).

Curved brackets (which I use) lose the “(units)”.

Angle brackets behave as you describe.

Curly brackets are retained in the full column label.

I tried to replicate my “$” problem, as I had fixed the original file, and I couldn’t find a problem either, so I am not sure what was generating that.  It showed a black diamond with a question mark in it, as if it couldn’t read the symbol.  If it occurs again, I will send a screenshot.

Thanks again.

Sue

Attachments:
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Ah, I’m guessing from your screen shot that you’d like to display the units of the attribute?

No problem! In Edit Attribute Properties, you can specify the units, and these will be displayed very nicely in parentheses in the column header and on graph axes. Furthermore, you won’t have to worry about them in any formulas you write that refer to an attribute.

Sue Finch
    Participant

Thanks Bill,

I can see that this has very good pedagogical value (but it is a pity if it is lost when it has been specified!)

Cheers,

Sue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.