Watershed Boundaries

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Watershed Boundaries

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello CODAP Team –

We are trying to create a layer or a way to highlight all of the major watersheds within Montana. This is for a data science curriculum for 7th grade students.

I know that CODAP utilizes ArcGIS + ESRI for the map component, and I was hoping to find a raw data CSV file with the lat/long of the watersheds but I am having no luck.

Is there a way to create this? Thanks in advance!

Best, Kaitlyn

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by .
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello Kaitlyn,

The trick is to find a “geojson” file with the watershed “boundary” information in it. Once you have such a file on your desktop, drag it into a CODAP document. It should open a case table and a map displaying the boundary information.

I did a quick search and, like you, didn’t immediately stumble on anything. Sigh.

Sometimes I’ve only been able to find a file in a different format from geojson such as KML or a Shapefile. There are online converters that convert from a given format to geojson and these have worked for me in the past.

CODAP doesn’t have any builtin tools for helping you create boundary information. But one colleague was successful in creating his own boundaries for, if I remember correctly, bike lanes in NYC. So that would be an outside possibility.

Don’t hesitate to post here again if you get stuck. Anyone else have any experience with watershed boundary geojson files?

Bill

Hi Bill!

Thank you for your advice. I did end up converting our file into a json online. However, when I upload it, and it says “import finished”…when I open the map nothing pops up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Kaitlyn,

Did you convert it to “json” or “geojson?” The latter is what you need.

If the file is less than 512K, would you upload it here so we can try it to figure out what’s going on? If it’s too big, or you would prefer, send it by email.

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.