Data subsetting

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Data subsetting

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rwrr30@gmail.com
    Participant

Is there a way to code data based on a selection in the graph window or through a function that uses boolean logic?

I am trying to extract the mean of values from different parts of my raw data. I have done a kludgy work around using Set Aside but I’d like to have a new attribute (‘Angle (deg)) that would allow me to do the means and later analysis directly.

BTW, I could not figure out how to paste values into multiple cells. Is that possible?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

David L. Erhart, PhD

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello,

The Choosy builtin plugin may be of help. Notice that in the screenshot using the Tag Cases tab you can create an attribute and assign values based on selection.

Does that get at least partway to solving your problem?

Bill

Attachments:
    rwrr30@gmail.com
    Participant

Thanks, Bill. That worked. It’s a bit glitchy. I could only make choosy work in the table not with selections from the graph. Is that the intended functionality?

Also, the graph using the grouped means did not format the same way the graph that was created from a separate table of vales did. for example, the y-axis did not have tick marks.

rwrr30@gmail.com
    Participant

file was too large. trying again

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Can you share the dataset (CSV) or the CODAP document (by going to the hamburger menu to the left of the document title and choosing Share->Get link to shared view)?

I have an idea about a way to use a formula to pick out these sections that don’t change by much compared with other sections.

rwrr30@gmail.com
    Participant

I’ve tried replying twice but they are not showing up in the thread.

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Try sending to codap@concord.org.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Dan Damelin.

Yes, you can code data based on a selection in the graph window or through a function using Boolean logic. Here’s a general approach that might help you:

1. Using Boolean Logic for Data Selection: You can create a new attribute, such as ‘Angle (deg)’, by applying Boolean logic to your raw data. For example, you could use a function like IF to assign values based on conditions. In Excel or similar software, it might look like this:

=IF(A2 > 30, “High Angle”, “Low Angle”)

• This would categorize your data into ‘High Angle’ or ‘Low Angle’ based on your condition.
    • Calculating the Mean: Once you’ve categorized your data, you can easily calculate the mean for each category. If you’re using Excel, you might use the AVERAGEIF function:

=AVERAGEIF(B2:B100, “High Angle”, C2:C100)

1. This will calculate the mean of the values in column C where the condition in column B (your new attribute) is “High Angle.”
      2. Pasting Values into Multiple Cells: If you’re trying to paste values into multiple cells at once, you can usually do this by copying the desired value, selecting the range where you want to paste, and then pasting. In Excel, you might use Ctrl+V or right-click and select “Paste.” If you’re dealing with formulas, make sure your cell references are set up correctly to apply the formula across multiple cells.

If you’re using a specific software tool, the exact steps might differ slightly, but the general principles remain the same.

Hope this helps!

rwrr30@gmail.com
    Participant

Thanks for the follow up. I will try your recommendations.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.