Box and whisker plots

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Box and whisker plots

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone

I started playing with CODAP after Pip Arnold visited San Francisco and the recent conference.

It looks as if this will be a great browser app for New Zealand Schools to use for teaching and learning in Years 7-10 (US 8-11) and then for teaching, learning and assessment in our Year 11,

Currently CODAP plots box and whiskers with the whiskers length 1.5xIQR and any data points beyond that marked as outliers.

This does not align with our curriculum and we always plot the whiskers to the lowest and highest values.

Is there are a workaround we good do for this?

Secondly at Year 12 we use informal conference intervals for the estimation of population medians.

For each subgroup the informal conference interval is  = median +/- 1.5/sqrt(n)

Any chance of plotting the informal confidence intervals as an option?

I have attached a pdf which goes through the teaching and learning for our progression through inferencing. In Year 13 we use bootstrapping which might be a bridge too far.

Great to hook up with you guys.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Glad you see some promise in CODAP for use in NZ!

Currently CODAP plots box and whiskers with the whiskers length 1.5xIQR and any data points beyond that marked as outliers.
    This does not align with our curriculum and we always plot the whiskers to the lowest and highest values.
    Is there are a workaround we good do for this? 
    As you’ve discovered CODAP only provides for one type of box plot. I’ll add a request for an option to switch between showing outliers and drawing the whisker all the way to the min and the max.

Secondly at Year 12 we use informal conference intervals for the estimation of population medians.
    For each subgroup the informal conference interval is  = median +/- 1.5/sqrt(n)
    Any chance of plotting the informal confidence intervals as an option?
    I’ll also add this request to our list of desired features. I’ve often felt the need to be able to display some kind of confidence interval!

I have attached a pdf which goes through the teaching and learning for our progression through inferencing. In Year 13 we use bootstrapping which might be a bridge too far.
    Bootstrapping is something we’ve really wanted to provide. iNZight is an inspiration in this regard. We’ve talked with Chris Wild about the possibility of iNZight Lite as a data interactive plugin for CODAP. I think the two would fit together very nicely!

Great to hook up with you guys.
    And you!
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.