calculate mode & line graph

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum calculate mode & line graph

Tagged: 

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 12 months ago by .
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I have two questions.

First, Is there a way to calculate the mode of a specific attribute in a table without representing it in a graph?

The second question is about a line graph. I want to represent a line graph as shown in the attached image.

I would like to show how to represent it as a line graph after first presenting it as a bar graph.

To express a bar graph with age as the horizontal axis and key as the vertical axis, the property of age attribute must be set as a categorical type.

However, in this state, in order to display a line graph using the ‘Connection Lines’ function, the property of age attribute must be changed to ‘numerical’ again.

It’s strange that the same attribute called ‘age’ needs to be set to a different property to display the graph differently.

Are there other ways to represent line graphs?

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by .
    • This topic was modified 1 year ago by .
    Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Regarding your first question about mode. You can use some features of the table to find the mode. One way to do this is to create a column that calculates a count of the cases and place this at a higher hierarchical level, so at first it will just count all of the cases. Then move whatever attribute you want up to that level to group by each unique value. Then sort the count descending. This will show you how often each value is present starting with the most frequent. See this video and this shared doc. Using this technique you can see if there is more than one mode.

Regarding bar graphs, it is typical that each bar in a bar graph presents some categorical value rather than a numerical value, so we follow that pattern in the expectations for the types of attributes that can be used to generate bar and line graphs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.