Finding Mean or Median on the iPad

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Finding Mean or Median on the iPad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My students have iPads and I’m trying to show them how to find the mean or median using CODAP. On my desktop, I hover over the line to see the value, but on the iPad, I can’t do that.

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by admin.
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello,

This is a real problem since you can’t “hover” with your finger. We sort of solved this with getting attribute descriptions so that if you hold your finger down on the table’s column header, the description pops up. We could do something similar with the mean and median lines in a graph. I bet you would be happy if we did this.

Or, we could always display the mean and median values when the user is on a touch-based system. Again, I think this would help you. I’ll add both of these as “stories” in our tracking system.

In the meantime, here are two rather clumsy workarounds.

1. In addition to the mean or median, add a “movable value” to the plot. Then you can drag this value to be on top of the mean or median.
    2. Define an attribute like meanHeight with the formula
      mean(height). It helps a little bit to then drag this new attribute all the way to the left of the case table to create a “parent” collection in which you just see the single value.

I hope this helps,

Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.