Freeze when using sampler in a large classroom

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Freeze when using sampler in a large classroom

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Koki Hosoda
    Participant

I had a class in Japan using the CODAP sampler simulation. When the same classroom of about 40 students ran the simulation using the sampler, several students had their computers freeze. There may be a memory problem with the computer. Have there ever been any other inquiries about freezing when many students use CODAP in the same classroom?

Also, when performing sample extraction from the sampler, the PC freezes more often when generating many samples by changing the sample size and the number of trials. Is there any countermeasure to prevent my PC from freezing when the sampler is sampling?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello Koki,

When using the Sampler, each computer is completely independent of the others and no computer makes use of the internet connection. So whatever problems there are are not due to the number of students and computers.

There can definitely be problems with large sample sizes and/or large numbers of trials because such simulations can stress computer memory and speed. I would recommend limiting sample sizes and trials to numbers that have worked well for your students and their computers. It is worth noting that it can appear that CODAP has frozen when actually it is just working on getting the samples into the dataset.

By the way, over the next year we’re going to be greatly improving the Sampler and expanding its capabilities. I’ll make sure we take into account the problems you have experienced and think about how to limit those problems and also give feedback about what is happening.

Yours,

Bill

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Bill Finzer.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.