Importing data from excel

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Importing data from excel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ash786@asu.edu
    Participant

Hi,

I have two questions:

1) can i import multiple sheets that are stored in a excel document so these will represent multiple tables in my document in codap? right now i have to save each sheet as a csv and bring them on one at a time

2) Is there a way to fill incomplete data in my columns by interpolating the known values?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thanks for the questions.

1. There is no way to import multiple sheets from excel at the same time. If you use Numbers instead of Excel, there is a shortcut for doing the importing that you may find helpful. Select the cells in a given sheet. Press the mouse down and, after a brief pause, drag from Numbers into the CODAP document and release. This is supposed to work in Excel, but I tried just now with Excel on my Mac and couldn’t get it to work. If you’re using Excel on Windows you may have better luck. If so, then this at least eliminates the exporting step.
    2. Regarding interpolation, CODAP doesn’t have a particular function for this. But I could imagine cobbling something together making use of the prev and next functions as in

if(value=””,(prev(value)+next(value))/2, value)

but that’s certainly not very general purpose.

Bill

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

It worked for me from Excel. I had to move the cursor to the border of the highlighted block of cells so I could get the “hand” cursor for dragging cells around. If I dragged into CODAP I got an imported data set.

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

There is another way to do this, if your browser is Chrome.

1. select the region you want to transfer in Excel.
    2. copy is (ctrl-c)
    3. in CODAP, create a new dataset: click on the Tables icon and select ‘—new—‘.
    4. Select the new table. There will be an Inspector menu on the right. Click on the ruler button and select “Import Case Data from the Clipboard”
    5. A dialog will come up asking whether you want to replace or append to the existing dataset. Click on “replace”

Repeat for each table range you want to transfer to CODAP.

Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.