Making visualizations to represent parts of wholes? (pie charts)

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Making visualizations to represent parts of wholes? (pie charts)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sev219@nyu.edu
    Participant

Hello all!

I was wondering whether anyone has come across examples of folks using CODAP to make visualizations that represent parts of a whole — not necessarily just pie charts, but including pie charts? I’m thinking about how the maps function color-codes bounded objects in a gradient. Could that be done with another type of image/shapefile other than a map, and if so, how might we do that?

Thanks so much for any information you might have!

Sara V

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by .
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Sara V,

I’m not sure I understand your question, but, if you haven’t already, check out CODAP’s bar charts as shown in the accompanying screen shot. They aren’t colored by a gradient, but they do show two different ways to think about part and whole.

The second screen shot shows that you can use a gradient to color bars (and points). But I was disappointed that the result is not smoothly uniform from light to dark.

Does that get anywhere close to what you were thinking about?

Bill

p.s. No pie charts in CODAP.

sev219@nyu.edu
    Participant

Thank you for this answer! For some reason I couldn’t locate the bar chart as an option. Is there a tutorial somewhere that can help me create a bar chart in CODAP?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

I’m not sure whether there’s a tutorial or not. If not, there should be!

In any event, as shown in the screen capture below the configuration menu for a dot chart allows you to fuse the dots into bars to create a bar chart.

And by the way, if you drop a numeric attribute into the middle of of a dot chart of bar chart, the cases in the chart are sorted so like values are together, making for a smooth gradient. (See second screen capture.)

Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.