StoryBuilder Sharing Issues

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum StoryBuilder Sharing Issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi,

Are there limitations on how big you can make a data story in story builder before CODAP starts to struggle? In particular I build a workspace with story builder and the share links seem to not work consistently when I share the workspace with students. Sometimes they just get the error message unable to load perhaps the person did not share.

Thanks

Travis

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Travis,

There are limits associated with the consistent behavior of shared links associated with the size of the CODAP document. Large shared documents take longer to load and can trigger a timeout.

Story Builder makes it easy to create very large documents! While Story Builder attempts to keep the document small by differencing from one moment to another, sometimes this differencing isn’t possible and you end up with, essentially, copies of an entire dataset in each moment. These copies can make the document large.

Take a look at the size of the troublesome document. Then consider rebuilding it from scratch. It’s possible that in so doing Story Builder will do a better job of preventing large copies of datasets from appearing in multiple moments.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Good to know. Thank you. Two follow-up questions

How do you see the size of the file while in CODAP?

Do you have recommendations as a designer on what size to try and keep files under so there are not issues?

Thanks,

Travis

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Travis,

1. There is no way to know the size of the CODAP document from within CODAP. You can see the size either in Google Drive or in your local file system; i.e. in the location you have saved/downloaded the document.
    2. I don’t really have any reliable information about “safe” file sizes, and it must depend on users’ bandwidth. As an uninformed estimate I’d put forward 5MB.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.