CODAP for Introductory College Statistics Course

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum CODAP for Introductory College Statistics Course

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Robert Kelley actually posted this, but it didn’t manage to stick, so I’m posting it for him:

I really like the design of your online statistical program.  It is both beautiful and functional, which is very impressive!

I’d be interested in using it when teaching my college Psychology Statistics course, but there is functionality that I’d need it to support.

For inferential statistical tests, it would need to include a correlation test (Pearson’s r), t tests (single, paired, independent), One-Way ANOVA, and Chi Square.  Ideally, functionality for inferential statistical tests would also include Spearman’s rho and Two-Way ANOVA.  Do you already have it?   For descriptive statistics, it would be important to know for a variable the mean, median, standard deviation, IQR, and skewness.  You already have amazing graphs.

How hard is it to add this functionality – such that students could do all this via drop down menus?

I’ve scanned what is out there, but what I like about this is that it is online, free, cross-platform, and looks awesome!  You add the above functionality, and it would really make a big difference in the lives to college students learning and using statistics.  Ok, that’s my plug.

Warm regards,

Robert

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hello Robert,

Glad you appreciate CODAP’s design. We really try hard to make it simple to use.

The functionality you need is, unfortunately and with a couple exceptions, not present in CODAP.

1. In a scatterplot you can plot a least squares regression line and r-squared is reported along with the equation of the line.
    2. There are a set of statistical functions shown in the enclosed screenshot. A good example of using the correlation function is described here.

CODAP is constantly evolving through collaborations with other funded projects, which have been mostly science education projects. No project has yet had the aim of developing materials that fully support introductory statistics with a full complement of tests and estimates.

Plugins, like the Sampler used in the (new) Duck Pond example document, provide a fairly straightforward way to extend CODAP’s capabilities. You, or someone you know with a modicum of programming chops, could create a CODAP plugin that would do the computations you desire within CODAP. Alternatively, consider writing a proposal to the NSF or some other funding agency, and we’ll collaborate!

Bill

CODAP is a fantastic tool that I’ve been using for my beginning college <span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri, Arial; font-size: 11pt;”>feminist thesis topics</span>. It is incredibly user-friendly and offers a plethora of useful functions. I would strongly suggest it to anyone searching for a statistics course.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by .
    Tim Erickson
    Participant

I have just created a CODAP plugin that does various traditional tests. Although it is new July 2023, and I have not yet vetted all of the results, (a) you can find mistakes and let me know! and (b) by the time you read this, it will probably be pretty much fine.

For now, here is a link with the test machinery. Add a dataset, and drag attributes into the box:

https://codap.concord.org/releases/latest/static/dg/en/cert/index.html?di=https://codap.xyz/plugins/testimate/

A quick description:

https://github.com/eepsmedia/plugins/blob/master/testimate/README.md

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.