computing linear predictions for x values not in the dataset

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum computing linear predictions for x values not in the dataset

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Ross
    Participant

Is there a preferred method for computing extrapolated y values for a linear trendline? Or, for x values other than those in the dataset? I tried doing something like linRegrPredicted(Year,MyYvalue) and then adding more rows to the dataset with the new x values I wanted, but nothing for MyYvalue. It didn’t report any results for linRegrPredicted, though.

I did manage to use something like this:

linRegrSlope(year,MyYvalue)*year+linRegrIntercept(year,MyYvalue)

and added rows to the dataset at the x values I wanted, but that feels a little inelegant. It can also give the impression that those x values were in the original dataset, but just happened to not have y values.

Is there a preferred way to do this?

Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this post. The “preferred” way would be as you describe in your first attempt. But, as you note, that doesn’t work. So I’m going to add that as a bug report this morning and hopefully get it fixed and released by end of next week.

I don’t have a good suggestion for generating predictions for values not in the dataset. Will have to think about. Any ideas?

Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.