Designing CODAP Activities

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Designing CODAP Activities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Is there a way to embed CODAP into a learning management system or into some kind of format such as an open book or jupyter notebook to be able to have text for tasks, CODAP workspace, and perhaps even videos, all on the same platform or app for teaching with CODAP?

Tim Erickson
    Participant

You can find an example of such a thing in Awash in Data (https://concord.org/awash-in-data). I did this using R “bookdown,” the same system Grolemund and Wickham use in Use R for Data Science. (In fact, I found out about that system from looking at the book and thinking, “it would be great to do an e-book about CODAP and have it look kinda like this.”)

I bet that one could do a similar thing in Jupyter, but I haven’t tried it.

It’s pretty easy to do on Canvas if that’s your LMS.  Here’s how to do it:

• Make your CODAP document and share it, then click the “Embed” tab in the sharing box and copy the “embed” code that appears.
    • In Canvas, editing a page or assignment, use the “Insert” menu and choose “Embed” (currently a cloud-y icon). Paste the embed code into the box that appears.
    • At this point, when you go to student view, you’ll see that the CODAP window is way way way too small. So switch from Rich Text to the HTML editor. Find the CODAP code. There, change width and height to better values, like at least 800 and 600, or more if your students have enough screen space.

Hope this helps! Keep asking if it’s not enough!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Bill Finzer.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Bill Finzer.

Thank you Tim! I am going to play with the Bookdown option and Canvas and I might ask some more questions when I get into trouble with those.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.