Map boundary thumbnails not working

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Map boundary thumbnails not working

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

Im trying to create a map for London Boroughs in CODAP. Im having some problems with the thumbnails for some boroughs.

As you can see from the first image attached, the coordinates Ive entered in the json file appear on the map and when you click on that area of the map it links back to row/record three for ID 11/Lambeth. Howver, you will notice that no thumb nail appears? Ive zoomed in on the map and looked closely at the boundary lines for Lambeth but I cant see any breaks?

As you can see from the second image, Ive updated the coordinates for ID 11 / Lambeth, replacing them for another London borough called Kingston Upon Thames (the borough on far left of image). Again when you click on the replacement area of the map it links to the correct row in the table but this time the boundary thumbnail is present?

Ive looked at the structure of the coordinates and cant see any difference in structure between the coordinates for Lambeth and Kingston?

Ive attached the json files for both Lambeth with correct coordinates and for Lambeth with kingston’s coordinates.

Ive inspected the HTML to see if there is a problem with thumbnail generation and it appears transparent. When I click in to the boundaries column the coordinates data is present in the cell but it doesnt appear as images?

Really looking for ideas on why the thumb nails arent working?

Attachments:
    Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hello,

Sorry you are having problems with thumbnails not working. I would like to help. You say you attached the .json files. I don’t see them in the post.  I only see a PNG. If you can send the GeoJSON files that would be very helpful. (URL’s would work, if they came from a public site.) Alternatively, you could share your CODAP document. (Click on the menu in the upper left of the page, then click on “Share…”, then follow the dialog to create a shared link.)

Thanks,

Jonathan Sandoe

Sorry. The max file size prevented the upload…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by .
    Attachments:

Here is the table showing that the coordinates data is present in the cell for the row for Lambeth and boundary column.

Here is the json file for London boroughs not working…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by .

Hi Jonathan

Many thanks for your offer of assistance! Im struggling with maximum file size and security restruictions that dont allow json files to be uploaded.

Here are the two json files – stored in my dropbox:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxtro0het14tu6z/AABGV_wsihn9803xNkJOADiua?dl=0

Otherwise, Im happy to message/commincate directly…

All the best, Mark

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

The Dropbox method worked. I can see the problem, so now I should be able to effectively debug it. Please stay tuned. I will let you know what I find out, but I may not be able to get to it immediately.

Jonathan

Great – thanks Jonathan! Glad you have the files and everything you need to debug the problem. Im completely stumped! No worries – keep me updated (even if it isnt going well).

Ive just put the full London data set in the dropbox for you. If you can figure out the solution and apply it to this – that would be awesome!

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

The bug is fixed. The fix should be in the next build of CODAP, probably later this week.

Jonathan

This is wonderful news Jonathan! Thank you so much for turning this around so quickly! The school staff and students based in those boroughs will be so pleased to see their thumbnails.

With my CS background, I curious as to what was the problem? My guess was the thumbnail generator possibly related to the number of coordiantes? Was there  previously a limit?

Hi Jonathan,

Ive just checked the original URL (json file) for the London dataset that I shared with you… and the two thumbnails (Hillingdon and Lambeth) are missing but the boundaries still appear on the map.

Andee at Turks has kindly reconstructed the json file today to double check my work and the two thumbnails still aren’t working.

Can you confirm that the bugfix was applied, and if it was,  can you have another look at why the two thumbnails still aren’t working?

Many thanks, Mark

Jonathan Sandoe
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I confirmed that it works for me. Screenshot follows. One thing I should have made clear, and it may be involved, is that you should recreate the CODAP document. The thumbnails are calculated at import time, not when the table is displayed. If you are recreating the document from scratch, I have no idea why it might be failing for you and not for me. (The below uses london_buroughs.json downloaded from the above dropbox and dragged into CODAP.)

Thanks,

Jonathan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.