Using CODAP with Chromebooks

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Using CODAP with Chromebooks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alison Klein
    Participant

How do my students use the CODAP interface with sensors on their chromebook? I have vernier motion detector 2 and LabQuest 2 as well as the Go Motion detectors. I downloaded the Sensor Connector program for my MacBook but do not understand how to connect the allow the sensors to talk to CODAP on the chromebook.

Investigation 1: Experimentation in Physics.

Thanks in advance! I love the programs.

Nathan Kimball
    Participant

Hi Alison!

If you are using the Inquiry Space 2, activities, and have opened the first activity to have your students make motion graphs, you will see a CODAP window if you just click the center of the first page.  For these activities, CODAP hosts a motion graphing window. At the top of that are two buttons, one for wireless probes and one for wired probes.

On Chromebooks, wired probes don’t work (unfortunately). So you will need to use your GoDirect motion probes. You need to ensure that BlueTooth in enabled on your Chromebook. You should be able to see and set the BlueTooth setting by taping the Chromebook’s little status bar in the lower right of the screen.

Then tap the Wireless Sensor button and be sure the GoDirect is sensor is on. I believe there will be some small screen that will allow you to connect to a particular sensor, if there is more than one.

Right now, as soon as you connect, the sensor should start sending data, however, it won’ t record the data until you press start. Note, that when data is collected, there is an additional step to put that data into CODAP.

Right now, the wireless probe doesn’t work terribly well: it runs continuously, and the zeroing doesn’t work. However, this is presently being fixed by our tech staff–I’m not exactly how soon it will be available, but it should not be too long. (There is an additional problem, of collecting two of the same points–that is supposed to be fixed as well.) But it should be useable for body motion position graphs, although zero will always be at the probe.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Best,

-Nathan Kimball

Dan Damelin
    Keymaster

Alison,

Unfortunately, given the list of sensors you described, they are all wired sensors, which won’t work using our software on Chromebooks. To directly connect sensors to work in CODAP on Chromebooks you would need sensors from the Go Direct line of wireless sensors.

There is still a possibility to use Vernier’s own software (perhaps Graphical Analysis) to collect data, export it as a CSV file, and then drag it into CODAP. But that might be too cumbersome, especially for that particular activity you mentioned above.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.